Benjamin's January birthday begins our yearly celebrations. Benny turned ten this year. He can't decide if he enjoys cowboy things, or army things more. So he had an army themed birthday cookie for his dessert, after a meal of cowboy casserole, which he enjoyed while wearing his western style shirt and boots. We all love our GI Cowboy Ben.
I never claimed to be a cake decorator, but I have fun making the kids smile. The writing is rather lumpy and a bit too much green, but that is the only color I had. The cookie itself tasted yummy and I was happy that Benny wanted something a bit different this year. Benny was excited to get a grown up non-digital watch, from my parents, a race car track from Joel's parents and some army men action figures from mommy and daddy. But Joel and I are the ones with the real gift. Thank you God for ten years with our Benny.
The next celebration of the winter was the night we found out what kind of baby we are having! I had an ultrasound on MLK Jr. day, but Joel was unable to come due to make up snow days. Rachael came with me instead and we had a nice time together watching what appears to be a very healthy, active baby who will be arriving in May. My friend, Amy, made these cupcakes to reveal the secret of whether we would have more blue or pink. Even I didn't know. I gave the paper right to Amy after coming home from my appointment. Later that night we all sat down for a special dessert....
Filled with BLUE icing! I can't say that any one was surprised. We may have all been wanting to see pink, some of us more than others, but we are all thrilled now with the idea of yet another little boy in this home. I get excited thinking beyond more matchbox cars, and footballs to when these baby boys of mine grow up and Lord willing become Godly, strong, (handsome) MEN. Just like their Daddy.
A name for our eighth little son escapes us, but we have some time, just about 12 weeks from today, to come up with something that is meaningful and fits in with the rest of the children's names.
We usually have a few snowstorms a winter, but this year. Oh boy. It hasn't really been non-snowy in months. The kids and I were trying to remember when we last saw the ground, and we failed. There have been many, many late starts for Joel and quite a few snow days that will have to be made up. But not for our homeschool. I kept plowing (ha-ha) through and we haven't missed a day. I have a deadline of the upcoming birth looming over me, and want to make sure we finish in time for that. In addition to the snow, it has been cold! But I enjoy cold, sunny days over gloomy but warmish days, so it hasn't been too bad. But it has been cold. Many mornings are not out of the single digits.
Our pear tree and half of our fence. This was in the middle of one recent storm. It sure was beautiful.
Ready for a barbecue??
On Valentine's day we were pretty much buried in snow. It snowed all day Thursday and again Friday morning. It created a lot of work for Joel and the boys. Nate and Jeremiah are trying to convince us to buy a snow blower. I think, that is what I have seven sons for! To be fair, they have been working hard this winter keeping our walks snow-free as well as four others in the neighborhood. They have made good money this winter. I think it is good for them to learn to work hard and cheerfully. When not shoveling, the older ones sometimes join the younger boys and Rachael out side. Sledding and making snow forts and keeping our dryer buzzing with wet gloves and our basement filled with dripping snow pants and jackets. I am looking forward to summer and only needing a pair of flip flops to go outdoors.
All of us have been feeling a bit cabin feverish. There isn't any thing to do with this kind of weather. So it has been many, many weeks of school and not much else. I am so thankful that we have all been healthy this winter, so I don't want to complain.
No matter what other Valentine gifts I may receive, nothing will compare with my favorite Valentine of all, my sweet SIX!!! year old, Asher. We had a low key celebration ( I am sensing a theme here) with frozen pizzas, and a yummy homemade chocolate cake. The Saturday before Asher's actual birthday, we had a little party with the grandparents and Asher was thrilled with his gift of a new bike! and a cool helmet. We have a tradition of getting the newly minted six year old here a new (or new to them) bike. He has tried it out despite the icy sidewalks and can't wait until spring so he can really get some use out of it.
Asher is a very special little boy, and we all love him very much! He loves action figures and plays for hours with his "men". He reminds me of big brother Nate, in that he is quite content to play all by himself in his own world. Asher is pretty smart and is learning to read and is good at math, even though we don't get to his Kindergarten more than three days a week. Thank you God for our Valentine baby. We love you Asher!
The three little boys. Full of energy. Often in the midst of a toy-strewn living room while mommy is busy with schooling the bigger ones. But they mostly play well together, and it is neat to see Timmy joining in the play. Timothy and Luke love music. Luke makes a drum out of everything, and is constantly taking pencils or other things to use as his sticks. He is pressing me for real cymbals ! and drum lessons. Timmy is equally obsessed with "tars". We have a few toy guitars that he has and he and Luke spend hours each day singing and drumming and strumming along. Nate made the little boys instruments out of the Trio blox. They have had guitars, and saxophones and trumpets all made out of blocks. How fun to have a built in band to play with and an obliging big brother to make and constantly repair broken instruments while trying to read "A Tale of Two Cities" or take an Algebra test. Thank you, Nate. You are a great big brother and a huge help to me!
So that is the end of my post! Phew, it was a long one, I had to extend my time limit on the computer in order to finish it. Hopefully soon, our computer woes will be in the past and I will have more chance to update.
1 comment:
Loved reading your update on your family and excited to meet another one of your boys:)
Post a Comment