Friday, February 2, 2007

Dear Mr. Groundhog,

I don't know why you of all creatures have the power to prolong our wintery weather, nor do I really know if you did or did not catch a view of your shadow today. All I know is that it is snowing alot right now, and while it does look pretty, I am not a fan of the cold weather.

Do you have children, Mr. Groundhog? Do you have rambunctious boys who really have way too much energy to be safely expelled in a semi detatched home (or burrow?) Do you have boys who are unable to play very long outside and so jump off the sofa (only in the basement) hold foot races from back door to front door and just generally act like little hyper active children that they indeed, are? I really don't think you do. You probably love to snuggle down with a cup of hot cocoa and a stack of good novels and marvel at the uniqueness of each little flake. Sure another six weeks of this seems so restful to you!

Do you long to go for nice walks without hunting for so many little pairs of mittens and hats and shoving a little one into a kind of too small snow suit? I do. I am anticipating hanging my clothes in the line and not bringing in twisted up frozen popsicle sheets and shirts. I know I can be patient and wait this out, I guess I am just a little concerned that YOU get to decide. Lets let a homeschooling mother of five children decide next year. I guarantee that we will have flowers in March then!

5 comments:

staceyhoff said...

Ha ha :) Well, you will be glad to know that there was No shadow this morning, so that means any early Spring for us ;) Or, at least, so your favorite little guy Mr. Groundhog says... :)

We have been feeling cooped up too and the board games are wearing out -the one's Grace hasn't already chewed to death that is-so, yesterday the kids started eating through their vast collection VHS movies and I have not seen too much of them in the afternoons after school, I am sad to say- I miss them, and yet, am glad for the relief from the very loud 'wrestling' ( more like killing) and human-monster-truck- jumping that my boys like to do- it is nice to at least see their little popcorn and chocolate milk covered faces at the dinner table though :) Today I got so lonely at 3:00 that I made them come downstairs and visit with me Lol
Ahh the joys of Winter... yah just wanna get allll bundled up and watch a movie ;)

Denae said...

I feel for you Dani. It's not even super cold here, but cold enough that you don't really wanna be out side. With Kayiah being sick for the last week or so it has been worse. This is that yucky time of year, no big holiday to look forward to (valentines day doesn't exactly count) no pretty flowers or soft gentle breezes. Just short daylight hours and runny noses. The Winter is when the Earth rests, yes because it's not stuck inside with rowdy kids. But Spring is comming and along with it the bugs and mud the grass stains. At least in the Summer you can just hose 'em off out side. For as white and pretty the snow is, it sure makes a big mess when it gets tracked in your house. I for one don't miss it at all. Just be thankful you can stay at home and don't have to venture out in all that mess with your 5 little ones every morning. But if you're really mad at the groundhog, you could always send Nate and Jerem out hunting.

Megan said...

Loved the letter! And you'll be happy to know that he did NOT see his shadow which means an early spring. Let's hope he's right!!

staceyhoff said...

Danielle, we didn't see you and the kids in church yesterday. Praying for you, since everyone is probably sick ,right?
Would a meal bless you guys?
I will ask Al to give J. a call ;)
God bless~:)

Danielle said...

thanks stacey for thinking of us!