Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Pets

Do you like pets? I recently learned that my sister has aquired a new dog. Now she has one tiny one, and one dog that will grow to be quite large it seems. Most of my life growing up we had some kind of pet. We had a nice cat named Snow-ball that my brother got for his 7th birthday. She was one of those cats who really did have nine lives. The perils that she lived through! We also had a few dogs over Snow-balls lifetime. As a child, I liked them. Brandy was fun to dress up, and Mutsy was my brothers shadow, pretty much ignoring us girls.

When Joel and I moved to our first home, we bought a chocolate lab we named Millie. She was a neat dog and we loved to take her to the Chesepeake and let her swim and we went on long daily walks that never seemed to get her energy out. Then along came Nate, and not long after that came Jeremiah and the daily walks became me, a rambunctious dog and a double stroller. But we still liked having a dog. Then we moved. We have a much smaller yard. And with Rachael's arrival, way less time for the doggy. We wanted to find a new home for her and were so happy that my cousin Jodi wanted her. She lived out the rest of her doggy life (she died this winter) at the beach.

Since then, five years ago, I haven't had any more longing for a furry companion. We have one black goldfish named Goldspot (he has some spots on him) who is pretty low maintainance. Every once in a while I see a cute puppy or kitty and like to give them a pat, but the desire to bring it home with me never really strikes. And so far the kids have not begged for a dog. Or a cat, or a hamster. I am glad.

Well, there is lots of crying going on right now. I am glad there isn't any howling or meowing to add to that mix. And I have to get dinner ready. I have another half bushels of winesap apples and plan to make another pie tonight. I am enjoying apple season

4 comments:

Denae said...

Fitting I should be the 1st to comment. Of course we love animals... Our lives wouldn't be the same with out our furry friends greeting us at the door, if we could have a big farm for horses we would have them too! :)At this moment my house is quiet Kayiah playing in the tub so I hear her splashing, puppy sleeping on the floor kitty cat grooming in the same room and Pablo sleeping in his bed. This puppy will get big and thats what we wanted some one to watch the house and guard the kids. To us our pets are family some 1 who is always there for you no questions asked. Kayiah is growing into quite the animal lover to and we wouldn't have it any other way, of course I knew I'd have pets from as soon as I knew what they were. They are work but for us we find it rewarding I could never imagine not having a pet, even if it's just a fish (which we have a 3 yr old betta too)

Anonymous said...

Keith has a mission to get a dog... I'm not sure if his desires will ever come to fruition as long as we have little kids. I'm not a HUGE animal person. But one day I think it'd be neat to have a golden retriever (don't tell him)! I've always loved these dogs. But lots of time involved there!!!
We just got a full bushel of apples. I had ambitions of making applesauce with our first half bushel and we just had apple pies, crisp, and ate them. Hopefully I get the applesauce made with these. I may not have another chance to get more :)

Linda said...

I am not a "pet person" by anyone's standard. But I too have a secret desire for a miniature pincher. They seem clean and low maintainance, but try to act like guard dogs despite their size. I would name her Moxy. But then I remember : "I rent, I'm not allowed to have pets" and I heave a sigh of relief.

cb4swife said...

I love German Shepherds (hehehe). I like little pets that stay contained. I think it is becuse most of my experiences with pets have not been pleasant ones. I even had a very mean hampster that bit me all the time...he was rightly named Frisky.