Saturday, June 13, 2009

A bit busy.....

Oh what a week at our little home. Ripping out carpeting, trash picking two dressers (they need a little paint, but I think they are going to work great!), planning to strawberry pick, a fun outing with our neighbors on Wednesday to keep the kids out of the house when our carpet was being installed, an evaluation for Nate, a graduation party on Saturday. ...

...But God's plans are not ours, and He had very different plans in store for our family this week.

Joel and I have been noticing our little Asher-boo not doing the best lately. He is abnormally cranky, sleeps poorly still, and isn't growing really well. I made an appointment with the Dr for a check up. On Monday Joel urged me to call and get an appointment earlier (the scheduled one is later this month). Tuesday Asher was worse and I called the Dr in the morning. Asher was laying on the floor shrieking at that point. I dropped the kids off at my parents and took our little one in for an exam, which ended up with six blood draws (and three blown veins, poor baby) and a call that evening from the pediatrician saying that, "we could put him in the hospital tonight, or see how he does over night and come to the office in the morning". We chose to keep him home overnight.

Wednesday, Joel waited at home for the carpet guys, who only arrived about four hours late :) while Asher and I headed to the Dr. and then the hospital. We weren't sure what was wrong with our little one, but something was.
The main problem was how dehydrated he was. He needed extra potassium in his IV to help that. He would not eat or drink anything and everything was running out of him as soon as it went in. :(
We ended up staying until Saturday late afternoon. Each day I would think, this is it, today they will send us home, but each day the Dr did not feel that was wise. He called in a G.I. specialist who ordered ultrasounds of Asher's belly. I was so glad that he did well with that. It was a bit tricky since he had to fast before the test. That would be OK, except he could not nurse in the morning when he woke up. At six. The test was at eight. Thankfully he exhausted himself with screaming and fell back to sleep for a bit.

So that is how we spent our week. I am again, so glad, that our little one was able to get the fluids and things he needed. I again, was amazed at how dehydrated he can get so quickly. His little veins kept collapsing when they were trying to get the IV in. It is a long week sitting in the hospital room. Most of the week, Asher was not allowed to leave the room. Trying to settle him down for bed was a challenge, but thankfully he slept OK at night, the first night was the only one were we spent a lot of time rocking in the wee hours.
I got to watch a few episodes of "what not to wear" ( I love that show and only see it when we have a kid in the hospital) and John and Kate. Read a few Rachael Ray magazines (another favorite), which isn't the best idea when you are stuck eating hospital cafeteria food and diet shasta colas. I would look at all these delish things Rachael is cooking up and be so dissatisfied with my turkey sandwich off of Asher's tray. Asher and I so looked forward to Joel's visit each evening. And today, Joel brought all the other kiddies up to visit their brother for a bit. They were all so loving to him

We are not sure what is causing all his symptoms. The pediatrician thinks it is just some wacky virus. There is a possibility of Celiac disease. I don't know if we will get more answers once all the allergy testing comes back.

Please keep Asher is your prayers. He lost a good bit of weight, and is still not eating and more importantly drinking much at all. But he seems so happy to be home. He wanted to go outside and play right away. So we let him. I was so happy to see my new carpets!!! and get a shower!
Thank you God, again, for healing my sweet baby.

7 comments:

Stephen's Family said...

Oh Danielle,
I'm praying for little Asher and am happy for all of you that you are home from the hospital. Once again you are such an example to me of praising our Lord and seeing His love and goodness in the midst of seeing your little ones suffer. Please know if you are ever in a pinch, I'm just around the corner (or two or three).

Denae said...

Poor little Asher, my friend whos son had been inthe hospital the other year for Roto virus said that it took her son almost a year to recover from that and they had to keep taking him to the hospital the doctors would say it was this or that but she said she knew it was just a continuation b/c it was the same probs over and over, i pray that won't be the case for Asher but when I asked for prayers the 1st time asher was in w/ roto that is what she told me. we are praying for good health!

Linda Gross said...

Wow, Danielle. I had no idea all that was going on. You should hang a sign in your home "___ Days Without Illness" and keep track of the longest spell you can go. I will keep little Asher in prayer!

Bonnie said...

Praying for you and little Asher. I'm glad you are home now and that you were able to get to church.

Audrey said...

Oh Dani~

It was so good to see you in church. So glad that you are home...we will continue to pray for his full recovery and for a good appetite for him..On another note...I am so excited for you and your new carpets=) Yay!!!!

cb4swife said...

We are still praying for you, Joel and little Asher! Love you much...Shannon

Megan said...

Poor little Asher...we are praying for you guys, for a quick, full recovery.

I think you guys have met the limit for overnight stays at the hospital! Hopefully no more in the near future!!!