Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Little Experiment

So I am doing a little experiment with Timothy.  No Zantac, no nasty Neocate.  No prune juice, Karo syrup.  No nothing but bottles of plain Enfamil with a teaspoon of added cereal to thicken it a bit. 

We are on the third day.  He is sucking this stuff down like, well like he has been starving.  He is smiling and as content as Timothy has ever been.  I have suspected that Timmy was tolerating the Neocate only as much to satisfy the hunger pangs, but not enough to really thrive.  My big chunk of love had become pretty skinny.  That isn't so alarming to me, knowing how thin some of my other babies have been.  But he seemed to hate feeding time.  Now he takes the bottle down to empty in a few minutes instead of taking fifteen minutes to take in two ounces. 

The Zantac never did seem to do a thing to help the reflux (which he does have) and I hate medicating a baby, especially if it seems like it isn't working, and just might be giving him side effects.  Timothy seems glad to not have that bitter liquid pushed down his throat three times a day, and I am so glad that it doesn't seem to make anything worse, and I think, it just might, maybe, be a bit better :) 

I am praying that he doesn't develop any rashes or other signs of allergies.  If he seems well, we might just be able to keep this up and hopefully have a happier, fatter baby soon. 
Go baby Timothy, Go!!!

2 comments:

Amy and Brian said...

He certainly seemed much more calm yesterday...I hope that he continues to do better....poor little guy, if he didn't really need the crappy stuff:o( Sometimes, I wish God would just send personalized instructions for each of the babies as they come.

~Stephanie said...

We found out that Xander was reacting to the medical lactose in Prevacid. He does better untreated.

Not sure if you have discovered that milk is an issue or not (since you just say plain enfamil) or if Zantac has lactose in it, but it may be the case for you too.

Many doctors simply don't know that medications contain lactose and can affect patients with allergies/intolerances.