Monday, January 14, 2013

Happy Birthday Benny!

 
Our Benny is nine years old!  How did that happen? 
 

 
Along with my sister, I am experiencing trouble downloading and posting in blogger lately, hence the lack of posts and pictures.  We have been having a very ordinary start to the new year, and for that I am thankful.  We are relatively healthy, although Baby-boo is is getting yet another virus.  School is back in full force, with the children busy all morning and into the afternoon with their subjects. 
 
So, it is in the midst of lots or ordinary busyness that we pause and remember the day our Benny was born, and just how thankful we are for him.  Benny is growing so big, and changing in lots of ways.  It seems his days as Cowboy Ben are coming to an end, (that makes me sad) and now he is all about GI Ben.  He wears this uniform that Mom-mom M. made him for Christmas as long as I let him.  He has it on already this morning, fresh after a wash this weekend.  He loves to play military with his brothers.  Joel and I are glad to see Benny's reading abilities begin to take off.  We practice a lot and are doing a few different things to cement the phonics rules in his head.  As he learns to read better, he enjoys reading more and that, of course, will do more for his reading ability than anything else.  The more practice he gets, the better he will become with it.
 
All of us are looking forward to spring.  It has been a very gloomy fall and winter here.  This morning, like most of the previous week, is gray and dismal outside.  I think I need a huge dose of Vitamin Sunshine.  I think a tropical vacation would do me a world of good right now :) I don't mind the cold so much as the lack of sunlight in the winter, the absence of sunshine and fresh air and all the good that goes with that, like children playing outside for a few hours.  It is nice to have the addition, with some room to spread out during the day and evening.   We are so thankful that we were able to do the addition this past fall, all of us are enjoying it very much. 
 
All right, I need to get going.  It is 8:30 a.m.  The children are all done their morning things, the dryer is buzzing that the load I did this morning is done and I can switch in another.  I need to get them all started on school, and get to my chores.  Timmy is down for a nap, after a very rough night (up crying at 12:30, 1:30 2:30 and then at six for the day), so the mommy is very tired, but we have a busy day ahead, with making birthday cakes, the requested Cowboy casserole for dinner, and plans for a home made family birthday party once Daddy is home for the evening.   Having a larger than average family is lots of work.  But the reward and the deep enjoyment that we get from it FAR outweighs the work. 
Happy Birthday Benny!  We love you so very much.
 

3 comments:

Julie said...

I agree w/ you Danielle that i don't mind the cold either if there is sun :) - I'd love to hear what the "cowboy dinner" is - Caleb would be highly interested... and can't wait to show Josiah Ben's outfit in the last picture - that's great! he'll love it. - Happy Birthday Ben!

Denae said...

I guess it wouldn't be nice to say it's been sunny and 80 all week here then right? Maybe you should come to SAV! The girls are happy to finally have some bike riding time though. Happy Birthday Benny what a handsome soldier!

~Stephanie said...

I'm having trouble uploading pictures too. I'm getting around it by uploading to photobucket and then using the "from URL option" in blogger.

Happy Birthday, Ben!