Friday, March 7, 2008

Busy weeks.

Benny and Elijah enjoying the beaters. This was the batter for chocolate banana bars, the first thing I have baked (and the last!) since Asher was born. Thankfully, our friends from church have kept our supply of yummies pretty consistent. thank you everyone for the dinners and desserts!
Joel and I put the kids to work this weekend. They were suprisingly very helpful organizing the new Children's Ministry papers. Many hands make light work! This is a blessing of a large family. As the kids grow we have our own built in little factory! Too bad we also have to provide their meals! I think they may go on strike for better wages soon. But I did want to thank all the bigger kids for being such a huge help lately. Things are much more busy here with Asher, and they have been making lunches, pouring cereal, helping with laundry and caring for Elijah, not to mention helping do things like cutting out hundreds of stickers for CM lessons.
And this is our little Asher. Twenty days old. He was sleeping so peacefully on the boppy pillow wednesday night, so I decided to play photographer. I am not that good at getting really nice shots but had fun playing with the different modes on my camera. Asher is doing pretty well. He is still on the small side, not back up to his birth weight yet. But I am hoping he reaches that milestone soon. I had him to the pediatrician again yesterday, (my first trip out with all six children-they did good, although a lady did back right in to my van despite my horn honking, but no damage was done!). His little belly button had to be cauderized which sounds scarier than it was, since it was still open. He has an umbilical hernia so maybe this is keeping to open longer?? Asher is still on the fussy side, preferring to be held and loved and nursed all day long, which is kind of impossible here, nor desired. I was reading in my Morning and Evening book today and read this verse:
I Thessalonians 5: 6
"So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober"
This is Asher's favorite verse! When I read this I just laughed and laughed. Thank you God for laughter! So although I am very sleep deprived and busy, I have so much enjoyed these first three weeks with our little love bundle. I know it all goes by in a blink. The next post I write will probably be about Nate's ninth birthday. It is a little upsetting just how quickly the years pass by. I don't want to squander them away.

4 comments:

cb4swife said...

What fun pictures! Verity and Evelyn had the same thing done to their belly buttons because they fell off early and actually bled a little. It is so neat how God's grace is sustaining you and how He is helping the older kiddos to be servants too! I can't believe Nate is 9 next week...but we won't talk about that yet b/c he is still 8!!!! Love you and I can't wait to get to hug that little Asher!

Anonymous said...

I loved hearing that you enjoyed taking some pictures of Asher as he slept. I always tried to "capture" moments like that and even though they're never the same as watching the real baby sleep, it's still nice to have later on. Love the verse too! HA - But It does sound like God is really helping you embrace this season, Danielle. I'm smiling for you and I'll keep praying for his abundant grace to be poured out on you and your family!

Denae said...

Benny looks so tough in that first photo he must be thinking he's a real cowboy :) Love the chocolate faces! I always loved licking the bowl when mom made something and now Kayiah does too!Eating Icing It's one of the great childhood (ok and adult) pleasures of the world. Love you baby looks soooo cudly now if only his cousin would come out to be cuddled!

Linda said...

Great pictures! I thought Benny looked pretty tough in that first one too. That's a neat shot of the kids serving along side Joel, and of course Asher is just gorgeous. It is kind of God to give us a sense of humor and especially for him to give you a cheerful heart in response to that verse instead of discouragement. How good to be a loved daughter :-)