Last Thursday we enjoyed going Strawberry picking at a nearby farm. The kids had such a great time. I think the highlight was the ride on the John Deere Gator that the kind farmer gave to our kids. It really wasn't a far trek to where we were to pick, but the kids had a blast hitchin a ride on this neat tractor. Asher was well behaved for about five minutes. The smell of all the strawberries made him want a Strawberry milkshake, so I sat on the side of the field and gave him his shake!
Elijah had a hard time remembering NOT to step on the plants. His sneakers were so red from squashing all the berries. He also ate tons of them. A few made it into the basket at his feet.
Ok. Rachael looks like a natural for this job doesn't she?? By the end of our trip her lips were bright red, with matching hands. She will look pretty with bright lipstick when she is grown up.
Hard at work. Jeremiah loves flags, and he was very diligent to move our red marker whenever we changed rows. Benny of course wore his cow boy hat. Nate was very choosy with which berries would make it into his basket. We only picked just over eleven pounds that day. I would have loved to go back and get more, but with that amount I was able to make about seven pints of jam and have plenty to eat and make strawberry shortcake too. The kids had a great time helping to make the jam. It is so yummy, nothing like fresh jam!! We had it on toast at breakfast and it was so yummy on KFC's biscuits for our after church treat yesterday. (I know KFC chicken is not health food, but it sure is yummy, all our kids love it and the mashed tatoes and coleslaw too)
Strawberry season is about over here, now I am anticipating blueberries and my favorite, peaches in a short while. Summer is so wonderful!
5 comments:
We just picked too, Danielle! We were only able to find 9 worthy pounds this year - I guess the heat was tough on them. But I made two batches of jam and a pie and this week it's shortcake :) mmmmm... I love strawberries - I just picked about 1 1/2 cups blueberries last night off our own bush and we enjoyed those this morning on cereal. Love it!! Oh, by the way - I love your strawberry milkshake comment. I thought that was cute.
What fun..and yes Rachael does look the part! Love you...Shannon
What a neat trip for all the kids! I have never gone berry picking or made jam. Sounds like fun. I'm sure we don't go through nearly as much fruit as your household does. You must do it often since you know all the right seasons.
We'll be over soon for some peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwiches! Yum! Looks like you guys have been having a fun summer-picnics and berry picking and all. Hope Asher will start to appreciate these outings soon! Don't know if you like mulberries, I don't, but we have many mulberry trees with many ripe berries. You're welcome to come pick your own! The kids enjoyed picking some the evening after we saw you at Grings Mill. Though Tyler is really very confused as to why we sing "Here we go 'round the mulberry bush" if they really grow on trees!
See you soon.
Looks fun! Im not ready to take Kayiah and Milenah yet our strwberry season is in late april and may our group had a day to pick them but didnt think Milenah would have liked it ahahah. We are all in our new house and just got the internet back up thurs night Im happy new pics soon!
Post a Comment