So it is that time of year again, when I must file away all the summery clothing and dig through many boxes in my basement "warehouse" to find what will fit each child for the winter. This is such a huge job. One I really dislike. It seems like my boxes get mixed up so easily. Asher needs nine month going into twelve month stuff, which is in two seperate boxes. Not summery stuff, the wintery stuff. Now I need to repack the 12-18 month stuff in another box as well. I could spend at least a week down there. And each child only has one or two dresser drawers, so I need to be very compact and intentional about what goes in those drawers.
I washed and hung out four full lines of hand-me-downs on Monday, besides our regular washing for that day. I had the thought that the reason I have this horrendous chore is that I am so blessed. Blessed with six growing healthy children. Blessed with more clothing than I have room for. Blessed with toys and books and school supplies and winter boots and summer hats. Blessed with friends and family who hand me down beautiful dresses for my Rachael, and things for the boys. Blessed with the funds to buy what we need.
So while the boys barracks would never pass inspection right now, with the boxes and piles of clothing for five boys all over the place, I am ok with that. It is just a very tangible evidence of God's loving kindness and favor on my life.
Thank you God for clothes switching chores! Now back to work!
4 comments:
Danielle, I was just telling Steve last night that I feel all I do is switch around clothes and pack boxes of clothes up. And I just have one child, I can't imagine....And then Steve and I chatted about how blessed we were of all the hand me downs we get from friends and family too. This is one of those things you just don't think about much before you have children:) I had no idea:)
Yes, this week I've faced the fact that I NEED to find where the clothes are that Caleb can fit into... I prefer to do those clothes switches during nap but their clothes boxes are in their closets :) hmmmm.... just the energy and discipline to take action and "just do it". I LOVE that I can go shopping in his closet for him though :) I too feel blessed in that way - thanks for reminding us to look at this chore with grateful hearts!! ;)
Thanks for your example of finding the joy in the mundane. I for 1 am relieved that the temp is more consistently colder. Not that I like the cold, I just don't like having to decide what clothes the kids should wear each morning and whether the kids will be uncomfortably cold waiting for the morning bus, or uncomfortably hot coming home on the afternoon bus!
My decision is now made and I have officially put all the summer stuff away. If we get a warm spell they will just have to be uncomfortably hot!
I actually have this one done already...which never happens this soon...its just 'coz we are rearranging everything for our new little guy! I echo Bonnie...thanks for being so grateful in the mundane job calls us all too! Love ya...Shannon
Post a Comment