For school on Thursday the kids and I went hands-on all day. We have been studying about various pilgrim groups in early America. We have also been memorizing John 6:35 and learning about yeast in Science. So....
We made bread. A batch of whole wheat bread and a batch of pumpkin knot rolls. Both recipes I have made before so I figured they would turn out well even with so many hands doing the work.
The kids really did every step. All of them kneaded the doughs. We had to knead for a total of about sixteen minutes. They had alot of fun though. Then we set the dough to rise in the window but after an hour I moved them to my warmed oven to rise more quickly.

The finished products! Yummy. The kids were pretty excited and boy did all that bread make the house smell yummy.
We also made....

Homemade butter to go along with the bread. We filled two mason jars with cream and rolled them and shook them for about twenty to twenty five minutes. What fun to hear the noise change from thick cream being shaken to a big glob of butter in buttermilk! We salted it and packed it in contaniers. We got about a pound from not a full quart of cream. Expensive butter! It was fun to have the left over buttermilk to make pancakes with today also. They were soo good!!

Homemade butter to go along with the bread. We filled two mason jars with cream and rolled them and shook them for about twenty to twenty five minutes. What fun to hear the noise change from thick cream being shaken to a big glob of butter in buttermilk! We salted it and packed it in contaniers. We got about a pound from not a full quart of cream. Expensive butter! It was fun to have the left over buttermilk to make pancakes with today also. They were soo good!!
The kids were suprised how much work making bread and butter were, and that this is something the pilgrims, and pioneers would have to do daily or at least weekly. We had such a great day, I know they will remember it a lot longer than they would just reading about it.
Late Thursday night I put a pan of beans on to soak for our chili on Friday and I laughed to myself. I felt just like Ma Ingalls. I had my bread made, the butter churned, the washing all done and the beans on to soak! And I was ready to hit the hay! I used to want to be Laura Ingalls when I was young, now I now it would be a shock to have all that hard physical work to do.
"I am the bread of life. He who comes to me shall never hunger, and he who abides in me shall never thirst." John 6:35
"I am the bread of life. He who comes to me shall never hunger, and he who abides in me shall never thirst." John 6:35
6 comments:
We are reading the Little House books to Emme right now and she is loving them. What a fun day together! You were just like Ma Ingalls=) Fun memories for sure, Dani=)
Oh that was me that wrote that last comment, Dani;)
Audrey=)
How cute, Kayiah loves to help make things too. it's so cool that you can just tie all that into their studies! Our computer power supply broke so we couldnt use it.
Danielle - that sounds like such a fun adventure - but very tiresome too :) Great job making learning fun!
What a fun time for all!
And quite a bit of changing going on on your blog too!Each time I look at it these days, it's different! Quite confusing-but fun!
I've been contemplating making some bread. This weather is just perfect for it. Perhaps this week?...
Yummy!!! I love Jeremiah posing in the one picture with the bread. CB laughed when he read this... he said this is so Danielle... it reminds him when you and Nae were running on the beach in the Laura Ingalls dresses...we love ya! Shannon
Post a Comment