


What fun our Rachael "Mary" had this week. It all began on Sunday when Mom-mom presented Rachael and her dear cousin Ashy "Laura", invitations to a Prairie girl get-away at her home. Rachael was so excited all day until she was picked up later Sunday afternoon. We were sure to pack her bonnet, apron, shawl and prairie looking dresses, as well as her dolly and all her prairie clothing. After a modern evening with a trip to McDonalds to play and have ice-cream the girls settled in to bed so they could rise early. A full day of choring was ahead of them.
They rose by six (oh my!) and helped gather eggs in the garden, cook them and bake homemade bread. Then they had to do laundry for the dolls. They washed it all in buckets, wrung it out and hung it to dry in the sun on a special line Pa(pop-pop) put up. Then they settled down for some schoolwork and had a short visit from the boys while I took Jeremiah for a Dr. appointment. They all had fun splashing in the creek.
Later that day Ma (mom-mom) helped the girls with some embroidery and other stitching. They also made muffins and read part of On the Banks of Plum Creek together. Pa cooked dinner over the fire (bbq grill) and they enjoyed an evening without using lights.
On Tuesday the girls had to get ready for a special treat. A trip to town! They wore matching homemade prairie dresses and were joined by all the boys again as my mom and I took the kids on a field trip to Landis Valley. What a great day. I will post some pictures of that soon! We really had a nice time together. The kids loved it. Benny was getting lots of attention all decked out in his cowboy gear.
Rachael was able to spend one more night at the Little house by the Creek, and she and Ashy spent it down by the creek playing with this really cool prairie schooner and horses that my mom bought (why she never bought me one is a sore spot, jk) and enjoying one more night giggling and enjoying girlie companionship with her cousin.
How wonderful that my parents do this kind of thing with their grandkids. It is so neat to see the special bonds that they have, and so wonderful that my kids are able to experience lots of fun silliness and special times with their family. Thank you Ma and Pa.
7 comments:
That sounds like so much fun! What a great memory that will be for them to have of times with their grandparents :)
Keri
P.S. - The only thing missing was braids!
That is so sweet! What a fun and creative idea to bless the girls!! I am sure that they, Rachael and Ashy will cherish this memory.
Have you heard that CW west elementary school is closed for the next week? I didn't believe Danny when he came home and told me, but he had a note from the principal- probable swine flu cases in 4th grade and now possibly in the 3rd grade! Hears hoping they don't go 'Hog Wild' with all of this time off!
oh my goodness! that is so very cool! what time and energy Ma put into the planning all to bless these two little girls... although they aren't so little are they :) How fun!
Mom was telling me about this how neat! I remember you and I playing this all the time. Have your bunk beds become a covered wagon yet? I cant wait to see the pics from Landis valley. Good luck getting my girls outta bed that early but it looks like they had a lot of fun. I would have liked a covered wagon for our barbies too.
P.S. where you able to get the video to play on my blog? I always wonder if it work right.
this is SO fun! i would have loved this as a kid ~ what wonderful memories! :)
What a great idea! I would have loved something like this when i was a little girl. how fun:)
Dani~
That is so much fun! Vision for the future and I guess even now for my girlies. That was so creative and I am sure the girls loved every minute of it=)
Post a Comment