Thursday, September 3, 2009

School Days...Cool Days.

Not an "official" student but Elijah sure loves our Circle Time and doing activities from our Preschool drawer, like Lace and Trace cards and Counting Bears. Elijah also spends some time watching Bible videos . Asher(not shown) enjoys "independent time" in his cage (I mean pack-n-play) and eating pencils and crumbling up worksheets when we let him back out. Seriously though, the two little guys are doing a great job, so far with Mommy being very busy again all morning long.
Nathanael, already in fifth grade. He has a full load of work each day but is usually an independent and cheerful (enough)worker. Nate likes science and is also enjoying his new Abeka History program, but not as much as he enjoys coloring in his Star-Wars over sized coloring book!


The cutest second grader in the world, my Rachael, who recently lost another tooth!
Rachael enjoys her Reader and coloring all the pictures in her workbooks with great detail. She must hurry through her work, as she has many baby-dolls needing care.


Jeremiah, a very energetic third grader. He gives new meaning to "kinesthetic learner"!
Jeremiah has advanced a lot in his reading skills. He is enjoying his new science book and loves to do the experiments. He is the first one out the door for recess.


Can you tell that Benny is so excited to be in Kindergarten? He is first on the line-up each day to have school time with mommy (9:30 am, on good days) and he is always ready to go. Benny is eager to learn to read. But not so eager to clean up his toys :)

-----------------------------------
Well, Madison Christian School began it's sixth year on Monday. We made a bunch of changes to our school program very late in August. Overall, I am thinking that the changes we made (mainly using textbooks and workbooks this year) will help me be able to better balance the mommy-teacher aspect of homeschooling which is very hard for me to do. I wanted to do all I could to make our days run smoother, my older ones able to work more independently, and give me time to really spend with my Kindergartner (can't believe Benny is that old already), and train my little preschoolers to obey and have happy hearts ( a full time job in itself).
So, we have completed one week. We have lots more ahead. Things are going well with school as the kids and I adjust again to a new schedule. We are all loving the Hero Tales book that Joel is reading after dinner this fall. It is a compilation of missionary Biographies. The kids and I are also reading thru a book called, Window on the World,which goes country by country and gives facts, and prayer points for each one. So far we have prayed for Afghanistan and Albania. We are also learning from a neat book called the "ABC book of Bible People". We do these activities in our circle time along with Bible reading and singing.


It has most definitely felt like "back to school" this week. It has been COLD at night. The kids put on cozy jammies. It has been nice to be outside when I am able, mostly just to hang laundry and look at the garden. mostly everything is done. My tomato plants are starting to die, even though there are many green tomatoes yet. Maybe I will have to make some green tomato relish. I still need to make the sauce with the mounds of tomatoes that are ripe and sitting in my kitchen, but just haven't had the time. I did make a big turkey dinner last night. It tasted like Thanksgiving in September. Yummy.

1 comment:

Denae said...

I love all your great homeschool ideas. I am currently making a calendar to use with Kayiah. She is more than anxious to start this pre-school thing. Benny looks Adorable all ready for school. I might steal your photo idea, how cool! Maybe we will be the Clements Christian Academy. : ) Did mom tell you I will be coming up? Most likely early November. We are more than excited.