Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Year's Eve, Family Style

Boys at play. Rachael is probably up in her room with her baby-dolls. Joel took this because they were all playing so nicely. Is it that rare here that it deserves a photo?? (yes!)
(denae, the green couch is the "new" one.)


We had a stay at home kind of Christmas Break this year. Many years, we do some visiting, go on a few family outings, but not this year. It was very cold all week, several of us had (and still have) bad colds and resources are low this year, we had a cash only Christmas. The kids didn't mind. Our living room looked... well lived in by six children all week long. The kids enjoyed playing Star-Wars Monopoly, Operation and with their many new toys. Joel and I played a few rounds of a new card game we got and just tried to keep up on the clutter. It did feel like a vacation for both of us to not do, or go to school.
Joel and I did go out to lunch and I spent my Christmas money on some new maternity clothes.
New Year's Eve we decided that since we didn't have any plans at all that we would have our own celebration. After all, eight people is a fine, intimate little party! So I bought and cooked up lots of fun party foods like cheese and crackers, apples and dip, wings, mozzerala sticks, peanuts. My dad was able to come and visit for a while and we had a great time. After the snacks all the kids snuggled with blankets and we put on a movie. Our kids really have to snuggle to all be able to see our tiny 13 inch TV, but we sure enjoyed "Night at the Museum" with them all. The older ones were so excited to be allowed to watch this movie. After the kids were tucked in to bed at ten....Joel putzed around in the kitchen and I fell asleep on the couch! Some party animals here, huh! :) We went up to bed and woke up to see lots of (illegal) fireworks going off in a nearby back yard. It was rather impressive for a backyard show.
On New Year's day we undecorated the house (which I love to do, get it all clean again) and I tried to plan for our school week, and upcoming month. I filled out important dates on my new calendar and got it hung up. Now we are back in the swing of school and regular life. Asher, Benny and I still have really bad colds and there hasn't been much sleeping all night going on here, so we are tired. But God is good and His strength is all that I need. Coffee helps too!

1 comment:

Denae said...

hey I thought I had commented on the other post guess not. Love all the pics esp the kids waiting at the top of steps cmas morning many memories... can't really do that here in our house but it was still fun. The new living room layout looks great btw! We are happy that our holiday stuff is all packed away too, I treated myself to a few plastic storage drawers for the kids toys this year, I thought it made a great mommy present as now clean up and organizing is easy!!! Happy New Year!