Monday, September 20, 2010

Jeremiah's Turn

Friday was Jeremiah's tenth birthday. Friday evening we celebrated with a movie night at home.
Saturday Joel's parents came up to visit. We had a nice lunch together and had cake and ice-cream for Jeremiah. Jeremiah requested hot-dogs for his meal, but was able to be persuaded to enjoy pulled pork sandwiches. His cake was as he requested; vanilla cake with chocolate icing.

This was a weapon filled birthday. Joel and I purchased him a bow and arrow set, which he has been hinting about, not so subtly, for a few months. He was very excited and wanted to head right outside to try it out. His other gifts were a spy gear gun, and from my parents he received a clone trooper gun (I think that is what it is-it is big and from StarWars!). I guess we all know what Jeremiah likes.


Ten is such a big birthday. A whole decade has past since we first laid eyes on our son. He was born on a gorgeous Sunday morning in Amish country. His birth was my fastest, easiest yet. He was my biggest baby, until Luke arrived on the scene. Jeremiah was an easy going baby. He only cried when hungry, which to my surprise was more than every three hours. He was a hungry little one, and he is still my heartiest eater, followed closely by Benny.
Jeremiah is exuberant, and very energetic. If he is interested in something, he is totally immersed in it. It has been many things over the years. Right now it is baseball (which he plays in our yard every single day, a blessing of having many brothers). His strength in school is science and he struggles with reading. But what a long way he has come since we first sat down with the phonics book. I am amazed at how well he is doing now, both in his ability to read, and his ability to sit still. Both took LOTS of work on both of our parts.
Jeremiah is our Tigger. He can be so over-the-top with his energy and zeal that everyone else feels kind of bounced upon. But his heart is tender and he is loving and kind to the little ones. The other day I found him pushing Luke! around in the wagon attached to the little John Deere tractor ride-on we have. He had him all bundled up and secured and was so pleased with himself. So I cautioned him to go S..L..O..W...L..Y and let him enjoy entertaining his little brother.
Jeremiah enjoys our circle time and sings loudly. He loves "Fun-song Friday" when we put aside the hymns we usually sing for fun and silly songs like "Kookaburra" and singing rounds. Oh how fun to have enough people to sing rounds with! He is learning more and more about Jesus each week. He has a good memory and doesn't struggle much with memorizing our verses.
How we all love our second born. I am eager to see the plans God has for our strong (oh he is so strong), excitable little Jeremiah. God has blessed us with ten years of loving Jeremiah and it is our prayer that that we get to enjoy life with him for many more as we watch God transform him day by day into the man of God that we pray in faith he will become.
Love you lots Yah-yah!



2 comments:

Denae said...

Wow I can't believe I missed his birthday I feel horrible, I know a lot has been going on but man I feel like a really bad aunt! Jeremiah Happy Birthday buddy,Uncle Lewis is your biggest fan and I know he secretly wishes he could go play storm trooper and bow and arrow with you. We miss you all terribly I wish I could get up for a vist but poor uncle Lewis really needs me here : (

Amy and Brian said...

Happy (belated) Birthday Jeremiah! Danielle, I love how you honor your kids by sharing their stregnths and how you are encouraging even in the weaknesses. I pray I will do the same with Gracie (and any others we might have), seeking to encourage and see what God is doing. Thank you for your example!!


Also, for the newer post! Wow, Luke is getting so BIG!! I was just thinking that on Sunday. I know Gracie thinks he is getting quite handsome also;oP LOL.