About two weeks ago, as we ate our dinner, Elijah came out with this funny little thought; "It must be pretty boring being God. All you do all day long is sit around holding the world." He was pretty serious about his observation and it was funny to hear a six year old's perspective of sustaining and maintaining the universe.
Joel and I have a habit of taking one kid at a time to run errands with us. It is an easy way to spend some time with the children one on one. A few days before Easter I had to go to the market, and it was Eli's time to come with me. He was so excited. The child who comes with me is usually allowed a small treat. A chocolate milk, a candy bar. Elijah got strawberry bubble gum.
He isn't good for the budget :) He saw bath puffs and remembered ,accurately, that mine was all beat up, and that I had thrown it out. "Don't you need a new one of those, Mommy?" He asked. Yes, I do.
Then we hit the Easter aisle and in the middle of peeps, and candy eggs, there were these cute, colorful bunnies. "Oh Mommy!" Elijah exclaimed. "Rachael would LOVE these bunnies! Look at the pink one, Rachael would LOVE it. Can we get Rachael a bunny for Easter?"
They were on sale (fifty percent off), and I couldn't resist his cheerful little face. He was so eager to buy something for his sister. He was hopping up and down. He didn't ask for anything for himself. So into the cart the bunny went.
Elijah tried hard to keep his big secret, and we let him wrap it up and give it to his sister on Easter Eve after we dyed the eggs. I think he was more excited about it than Rachael, although she really does like it.
I love the love that my children share. It gives me hope in the midst of all the fighting and tears over the matchbox cars, and the last of the "good" cereal and the day to day sibling squabbles. Maybe they will grow up to love and care for each other, and be dear friends. Maybe the bright pink bunny is just a glimpse of things to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment