Monday, March 19, 2007

Born That Way

One of Jeremiah's favorite questions lately has been, "Do you have to be born to be....." Be a pirate, be an indian, be an English explorer, be a cowboy, an eskimo and so on.
What does he mean by all this?
Well, he really wants to be something neat when he grows up. He used to aspire to be Bob the Builder, but lately it has been more daring things. He wants to know if he can choose to become something, or if you have to be born into it. He is starting to understand that he cannot become an American Indian, or a Viking (although he is Norwegian), or an english explorer. He cannot be in the Revolutionary War, or the Civil War. He needed to be born in that time, to that race of people. The options of pirate, ninja and cowboy are all viable for him.

In the market on Thursday (along with half of our town before the big snow!) He kept up with this questioning. At the meat counter he was studying a poster of different cuts of beef and seemed really into butchering. I said, "Maybe you can be a butcher Jerem!"
"Nay- I am going to be a Pirate!" he loudly remarked. He is so funny. In the isle where the chili beans and things like that are he was really wondering if he could become a cowboy. There was this display of a cowboy eating stew or something in the isle- (Benny thought it looked like Pa (from little house ) That's what he wants to be when he grows up, Pa!) He wanted to know if it was hardwork, he said he can already lasso! I said there weren't many oppurtunities for cowboys here in Berks County.
This morning I was remarking that Benny seems to have a death-wish with some of the scary things he has done and I mentioned when he drank some antifreeze. Jeremiah said, "when I am a pirate, I'll drink antifreeze!" then he laughed and said, "No, I'll only drink rum!" Where in the world did he get that??? ( a book about pirates that we since threw away)

I am trying to convince him that he could be an evangelist to the Pirates, or the Indians or the barbarians in India (he wants to live there because he saw a display at the Reading museum and the people only wore underwear and rode on elephants!- I have shown him pictures of properly attired Indian children, but he isn't convinced, he doesn't like clothes) It's up in the air right now. But I have time to convince him to change his career path.!!

3 comments:

Denae said...

It's so neat how God gives everyone different passions and personalities. Does he know that song Onward Christian soldiers yet? He can deffinatly be that and he doesn't even have to be a grown up. When he gets a little older he can look into Christian groups like skater for Jesus or google things like that and they have groups where skaters (or what ever he's into) go and witness to other skaters (or whomever). I think with Jerems personality he will be able to reach interesting groups of people. Also tell Jerem that those indians with the elephants are called Mahouts, they wear clothes like underwear because it's so hot and humid or it's raining everday. They also spend a lot of time taking the elephants to the water to wash them. If they wore clothes like we do they would always be damp and wet and sticking to their skin and it would hurt their skin, So for them it's much better to just have on the underwear. But here we wear clothes. Maybe you could look for a book of all the different clothes they wear in different cultures, he could help you figure out what the climate might be like by seeing what they wear, this would be a great way to show him all the cultures of the world that need Jesus too. Just and idea. You know I love elephants sorry for the book I just wrote.

staceyhoff said...

tee hee! I can remember alllll of the things I wanted to be when I got older; so far both Josh and Ty just keep saying they want to be police officer's --- Josh, 'so he can put people in jail' ???:D and Ty 'so he can run bad people off the road and save people' ??? At least Ty added 'and save people' onto the end...
I think for now Grace wants to be a human monkey, or an acrobat, judging by the iron grip on my knees she is developing now.HA ha !!
So fun to joke with them about this stuff, and seriously think about what they might be doing in the years to come... and God already has it all planned out. Amazing!~!~!

Denae said...

I know those funny little maddies have done something else cute and writable by now.... I at least need a weekly dose of my nieces and nephews! How about a post with Eli's cute face and his hair cut you told me about. Love U