Friday, March 9, 2007

Old Friends

This picture is of the kids playing train. I used to play this with my sister, but we never had so many passengers! All Aboard!
Do you have an old friend? I do. She isn't eighty years old, in fact I am about three months older than she is. But she is my oldest friend. I think we played together in the church nursery. We have many shared memories from Pioneer Girls at Faith Baptist Church (we were always getting into trouble-especially at camp!) and school and slumber parties. We have memories of going to the beach for a week in High School (what were our parents thinking?!) and Young Life camp, (when Joel was one of our leaders- and we did not like him!)and the regular early morning prayer meetings. She was the first to know of my first date with Joel! She was shocked. We visited each other in college and were in each others weddings. We have been pregnant together, delivering within weeks of each other-not just once but twice.

I don't get to see her as often as I would like, but she is that kind of friend were you can not talk for a few months and pick it right up again when you do. She will laugh at these sayings, "I ran to Iran, man!", "Kay from PA", "Mike Price" and "sweat is sexy, or is it the other way around ?". I could go on with the memories. And it is fun that there aren't just good memories, but an affection still today and a growing friendship in our Lord.
We used to sing a song at Pioneer Girls (well we used to sing many many songs) that went:
"make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other Gold"
Megan, you are that Golden friend to me. Can't wait to see you again.
I wish I had a way to put a picture of us from when we were little. I have a few still. But I put a picture of my kids, playing train. I pray that they will grow up to be the best of friends with each other, just like they are now. I also pray that some of the friendships they have begun with little boys and girls from our church would continue up thru their lives.

2 comments:

Megan said...

What a nice surprise to check in on my favorite blog and see a tribute to our friendship! It brought a huge smile to my face and a giggle or two when I read all of those silly memories we've shared. God has truly blessed us with a unique friendship and I'm so happy that we've continued this friendship for most of our 30 years! It's amazing to look back and see how our friendship has evolved and matured! It's fun to think that years ago we shared skittles in the bathroom at PG camp and now we share parenting advice/tips. Or I should say you share advice with me since you're slightly more experienced! :) I could go on and on, but I'm turning into a human jungle gym as I sit here and try to finish this. I must go be a mommy - but I will try to find some old pictures of us to share with you. As long as there's no embarrasing hairdo's or outfits! :) Hopefully I'll see you soon!!!

Love,
Megan

Denae said...

What a neat entry. As you can see I'm back online (I will try to blog Saturday if I can wrestle lewis from the computer during Kayiahs nap. But any ways about YOUR blog. It brought up memories of pioneer girls. You guys were the big kids who could sit in the chairs during the worship and we had to sit on the floor. You guys thought you were soo cool. Heated cabins at camp too. I actually went back there for a UCF retreat and that was really weird (we got the heated cabins) I did like that make new friends song and we would sing it in rounds. The one song I didn't like was that Fish Chip and Vinagar song we sang when we met up with the blue church. Ok well I gotta get to bed.