Wednesday, July 14, 2010

New baby days.

It sure has become busy here at our home. How is it, that after seven children I forget, totally forget, how much work a newborn is? How is it that I still wonder if the baby is hungry, or just tired, or just really spoiled already and cries the moment he senses he is not in loving arms but instead has been put in his bassinet/swing/boppy pillow/floor? How come if I actually wash, dry and fold the laundry in one 24 hour period I feel a sense of accomplishment? (probably because I did it all one handed, since I was holding the (probably spoiled) baby.) How can two hours pass as I sit on the sofa feeding, and holding and enjoying looking at this precious little baby? How come I have gotten soft in my old age and can't stand to hear him crying? How come I will hold a sleeping baby and just watch his cute little faces instead of putting him in his bassinet so I can get some work done? How come they grow and change so much in three weeks??



Overall, we are doing very well here. I feel well physically. As expected with a three week old, I am pretty tired. Little boy's sleeping schedule is still very erratic. Luke seems to be growing well, and we are working on figuring out a formula choice for him. Poor baby has been on the formula of the week club. I had samples from a few different brands, from the pediatrician, the propaganda ones that come mailed to your house the day you come home from the hospital, and some from friends who have babies who nurse and had the cans sitting around collecting dust. Luke has tried them all. Now we have Walmart brand we are trying out. I don't know if this a good idea, to be formula-hopping like this, but I would like to find a keeper before I stock up. I can't believe how expensive this stuff is, it is horrible. (which is why Luke is now trying the Walmart brand- way cheaper than the big brands). I am also looking in to using goat milk from a local farm to make my own formula. I have heard (first hand) some wonderful things about this, and it seems to be a pretty good option for my allergy prone kids.



Our bigger children are enjoying a week at their grandparents' home. We went to visit Joel's parents on Monday and dropped off Benny, Rachael, Jeremiah and Nate. They love swimming in the pool, and sleeping in the RV. They love watching more tv and movies than they are ever allowed to here at home, and drinking soda! Joel still doesn't understand the soda thing. He NEVER had soda at home as a child. Now they keep the fridge stocked with all kinds of flavors for the grandkids. I am hoping to get a few things done here at home before they return. I am suprised though, at how much work the three little ones are without my biggies here to corral them, play with them and do chores for me. I had to unload the dishwasher, sweep the floor and wash the table yesterday. I never do those things anymore. I had to get the mail, make Eli's bed, run upstairs for diapers, switch laundry to the dryer, lug the baskets myself up and down the basement steps. I never do those things anymore. So while it is more quiet here, and I only have two breakfasts and lunches to make instead of six (plus my own) and dinners can be quite a bit smaller, I am having to pick up the slack and do all the jobs the big guys usually do. I didn't realize how much they did here at home.



Well, I hear my little boys stirring. Luke has been my companion this morning since about four am. He often spends the early morning hours snuggled in bed with me. Now he is asleep and the others are up and I need to get my shower and get the day started! I will try to remember to take some pictures and post some new ones soon.

3 comments:

Charlie and Lisa said...

Dani - I love how you are enjoying Luke. Praise God for the two hours with him on the couch! And praise God that you allowed yourself to slow down enough to sit with him while he was sleeping and just love on him and enjoy him. Well done, mommy of seven!! Everything else will get done in it's time, but time with Luke while he is little is fleeting. I'm praying for you as you all adjust to "new baby days" and am loving reading all of your updates here!!

Denae said...

Hold Luke all you want he will soon be a big boy! While you are sitting on the couch you should bring your laptop over and comment on my blog : )

Amy said...

Congratulations on your new little blessing, Danielle! I can't believe you have 6(!) boys!!!! I don't know how you do it ~ I only have 3 and some days I want to pull my hair out! :)