Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Rachael's Day Out!

 Being the only girl, in a family with soon-to-be seven boys can have its challenges.  We don't feel bad for Rachael, and don't treat her in a way that would tempt her to feel "poor me" about her lot in life.  Joel and I do acknowledge though, that having such a boy-heavy family often means we do boy things.  Like Saturdays spent at Cub Scout events, Vacation trips to Air Force museums and train museums.  Time lingering at construction sites and in the lego aisle at Kmart. 
We wanted to do something fun just for Rachael.  Before the baby came and it made it hard to do anything that took more than an hour or so. 
 Our whole family traveled up to Joel's parents to spend time with them, celebrate Asher's birthday and to leave the boys with them on Monday while Joel and I took Rachael to Washington DC to the American Girl store.  We left early and got Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast (Rachael ate some of my bagel sandwich but mostly munchkins and strawberry milk!) and got on the road. 
 We had a predetermined amount of money we were willing to spend, and Rachael could pick out what she wanted with that.  After a long time deciding, she chose the new doll, Marie-Grace (oui, elle est francaise.  Elle habite en New O'rleans dans le 1800's et Marie-Grace est tres belle.  Bonne choice, Rachael!).  We also bought a few of the books about this character. 
After shopping we were hungry and went to lunch at TGI Fridays.  Rachael enjoyed more strawberry!  She had a strawberry smoothie with her lunch and helped me eat my peanut butter pie dessert, which is something that we cannot enjoy at home anymore due to Luke's severe allergies.  Joel and I had a fun time with our baby girl, who is getting way to big on us. 

We are so thankful to God for Rachael.  We wanted to bless her with a special day out with mommy and daddy, and to thank her for the HUGE help she is to me.  I know  I have said it on here before, but my bigger kids do alot.  And Rachael probably more than the others.  She often dresses and bathes Luke for me, and Asher too.  She makes breakfast for Luke and some of the other boys often.  She helps make dinner, washes dishes and helps fold laundry.  She is often in charge of watching Luke and Asher while outside.  For the most part, she is cheerful about these duties.  I don't think she does too much, but we wanted to let her know we see, and we appreciate all she does to help her family.  Thank you,  Baby-girl.  Nous t'aimons beaucoup!

5 comments:

Amy and Brian said...

Oh, Danielle, that was such a sweet thing to do with your girl!! She always amazes me when I see her so joyfully serving your family. SHe is a sweet girl and I am always hoping one day Grace will grow up to be like her (although I do not think she will have the seven brothers part which is probably a little factor, but God is bigger!;oP)

Glad you had such a special day before this newest little one comes!

Denae said...

So much fun 4 Rachey! What a blessing to have such a big helper like her. Kayiah helps a lot with just 1 sibling so I can imagine she is vital for day to day survival in the Maddy household. not sure my girls would like a doll store since I can hardly get them in the doll aisle at walmart haha.

Denae said...

I had to go google the doll so I could see what she looks like. Very cute the stories sound good too. : )

Keri said...

This is so fun - I bet she loved it! I wonder if years later she'll look back and say how blessed she was to be the only girl because it meant she got to do things like this just with you guys.

Carol Stolte said...

that is so awesome, she will never forget this time you spent with her! You are such awesome and amazing parents. xo