Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Road Rage

Here is a little humor in a not so humorous day for me. Today was lots of errands day. Errands are usually alot of work, getting all the kids buckled up and in and out of the stores, but it usually isn't bad. The kids are pretty good for me in the store, library etc. We review all our rules before we leave the van. This seems to help. Today Elijah wasn't listening.

Elijah has been pretty miserable lately, I think he is cutting his molars. He was up almost all night long on Sunday evening, and up early early this morning. Nevertheless, we really needed groceries and also needed to go to Kmart. He did well in Kmart. The other kids needed several reminders. But we finished there without too much trouble.

On to Shur fine. It was getting to be lunch time, but we needed to go. The screaming started not far into the entrance. And Elijah is so shrill when he screams. The impulse buy of Goldfish crackers, which we never get! was not enough to calm him down. So I finished up as fast as I could (the other four were being great). As I rounded the corner to the check out I was stopped by about the third little old lady saying how unhappy the baby was. This lady and her husband were smiling at him, and he gave them such a frown, it was funny. He knits his little eyebrows together and looks so angry ( I have no idea where he gets this look from!) "Boy he isn't happy" the lady remarked, "he shouldn't be driving and screaming" the husband remarked. I had Ben and Elijah strapped in to this neat race-car shopping cart. I laughed at the horrible face Elijah was making and said, "Yeah, he has a bad case of road rage!" That made us all laugh and helped me smile while I loaded up groceries holding a screaming and heavy baby.

I was glad to get home and feed Elijah and put him to bed! Hopefully he will wake up with a happy heart!

4 comments:

Denae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denae said...

Ahhh you gotta love the toddler years. we have had a few embarassing moments with Kayiah and some times our onlookers were not as nice as yours. Any one who has had a toddler though, will understand. Long Live Naptime!

Denae said...

It was me who left the comment and deleted it by accident when I went to edit it. Just in case you were wondering

Megan said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to have crazy supermarket trips!! Just the other day, Chris had his own episode of "road rage" in the Acme - there was screaming, and throwing of cups & pacifiers - poor Abby got the brunt of it with him pulling her hair! I finally had to sit him in the back of the cart near me. Fun Fun! Next time it happens I'll have to laugh thinking of your story - I love calling it road rage!