Yesterday afternoon, after a nice walk around the neighborhood with my friend Deb, a trip to the playground and another walk to my parents' home for lunch I had the pleasure of sitting on my parents' sofa with a fresh cup of coffee and feeling the cool of the ceiling fan overhead. Just a few seconds after I said, "the kids are being too quiet (all moms know that the sound of nothing is a bad thing) I need to check on them." I heard Benny start to scream. At first I wasn't alarmed. There is regulars screaming here about who is or isn't sharing toys, whose turn it is to chose videos etc,...
But then Benny appeared next to me, covered in blood. It was all over his face and hands and I wasn't sure where it was coming from. It turns out that he had a good size gash on his hairline. Head wounds bleed so bad, I know this after having four sons, so at first I wasn't that concerned. But after we headed back home and my neighbor looked at it for me, and her mother and we all decided it seemed ok, Joel came home, looked at Benny's head and called the Pediatrician. I guess Joel, with his many scars and traumatic moments in childhood, knows what a bad wound is.
So off to the pediatrician I went. I kind of felt silly, thinking they are going to bandage it, and charge me twenty dollars to do so. But the Dr. looked at it and ended up giving Benny three stitches, and a tetanus shot!
But, what a brave little boy we have! He never once cried, or tried to move or anything! Not for the shot of lidacaine in his head, the stitches or the shot! The nurse and Dr. were amazed. I was glad that the pediatrician was so quick. I got the Dr. who historically is not my favorite, but what he lacks in bed-side manner, he makes up for is speed and skill! The only time he wimpered was after the tetanus shot (his very first vaccine) but two lollipops, a race car sticker and a new pencil cheered him up right away! Yay! Benny what a brave little guy you are! Much braver than a certain uncle who broke out of the baby strait jacket they lock hysterical kids in to give them stitches! Braver than some of his brothers would be, hey I probably would have made more of a fuss!
How did this happen? We don't have all the details, there are conflicting reports from the witnesses, many of whom cannot recall if they were actually present at the accident scene or not. But it involves a lamp being dropped/accidently pushed over/mishandled, and landing on Benny (who was innocently playing little people)! :)
Ahhh, Boys! Everyone should have lots of them!
Our stitch count is up to 2- one for Jeremiah , one for Benny
1 comment:
Oh my! What a brave little boy! You comment about the kids memories of the details of the story just cracked me up!
Post a Comment