Monday, March 30, 2009

Hospitals, Hail and Hives, Oh My!!

Room 2 in the Pediatric wing. Double occupancy
After having the room all to himself for a while, Asher was so happy to see his brother.

Eeyore, helping his best friend feel better. This is how Eli comforts himself.



Asher, our caged animal. He was beginning to feel alot better on Saturday when I took this picture. ( I wouldn't normally take photos of sick kids, but my bigger ones wanted to "see" the beds and the room that they babies were in. They made pictures to hang on the walls for them too. )
Late last Sunday Asher became really sick. I had a fun night with him, holding his poor little baby head over the toilet for a few hours. He had such a rough time of it on Monday, and Tuesday and by lunch he was looking really bad, bad enough to scare me into calling the Dr. I don't typically run the kids to the Dr. for stomach bugs. I am glad I took Asher. My pediatrician admitted him right away to the hospital. The problem was the pediatric ward was full, so we had to go thru the ER. I was there for about an hour waiting to be seen and Asher went thru all the diapers I had packed, soiled his blanket and my shirt. I was so glad to get taken back. The ER was full too, so we had a gurney in the hall way for some time before being moved to a "room". I was so happy to see Joel when he arrived after work. Joel stayed with us a few hours, but then Asher and I had to spend the night in a double room with another crying sick baby. I was so glad on Wednesday to get moved upstairs to Pediatrics. We finally got a room 24 hours after being admitted.
Meanwhile, at my parents' home... Elijah is sick, Benny is throwing up, Nate is running a fever. They are having alot of fun! I felt so horrible, I hated my babies being sick and I was away from them and couldn't help. And I felt so bad for my parents. That is a big job. But what a blessing they are to me. My mom came up on Thursday morning to the hospital to sit with Asher so I could run home and shower and get some things. In the few hours she was gone my poor Dad had to take care of Eli who took a turn for the worse. Dad said he threw up six times and had as many "explosions". When Joel came home from work, he picked Eli up from my parents home, took him to the pediatrician and Eli joined Asher in room 2 Thursday at dinner time.
Then the fun began!! Two sick little ones, one tired mommy, a daddy running back and forth from work, to the sick kids at home, to the hospital. I am so glad that my babies were able to get the care they did. They both had Rotavirus, which I never knew could be so bad. There were many other babies up on the ward with the same thing. The nurses were running room to room with clean linens and jammies. I know Asher went thru at least ten changes a day. It went like this until Saturday evening for both boys. Asher really began to improve late Saturday and when the nurses had to remove his IV because it had bent, they decided to not put in a new one (yay!) and see how he did the next day. After force feeding Eli a quarter of a sandwich and a bit of juice he convinced the Dr. that he might eat at home, and they allowed me to take them both home Sunday late afternoon, instead of making Eli stay til monday.
As soon as we arrived home, my mom called. I had to go get Benny. He was covered in hives!! We have no idea why this has happened. I called the Dr, gave Benadryl and that is what we have been doing today also. I have never seen a kid so completely covered in hives. I could not see skin underneath all the red angry welts. The poor thing. We will probably be back at the Dr. tomorrow if it doesn't heal up tonight.
And right after that we had a HUGE storm with gigantic hail and tornado warnings. It was kind of neat to see, but I am a chicken about storms and where I really wanted to be was hiding out in the basement instead of looking out the back door. What an awesome display of God's power though.
So, that is my report on our week. I am tired, and a bit numb feeling still. I think running on adrenalin, and yucky hospital coffee is catching up with me. It does feel so good to be home with all my kids. We did a bit of school, a bit of laundry, some reading and playing dinosaurs together today. I am so thankful to God for healing up my little ones. It is such a blessing from God to live in this country and be able to get help for sick little babies. Thank you God for healing the boys, keeping us all safe in the traveling back and forth, and your loving kindness on our family. You are so good to us.



6 comments:

Bonnie said...

AWWWWW! That's all I kept saying as I looked at the pics of your poor sick little guys. I had no idea all of this was going on last week until I saw your dad on Sunday. Thank God you are all home now and doing better! Poor Benny though. I will be praying that the hives will go away quickly. That has got to be pretty miserable! I will pray too for a week that is a little (a lot) more restful.

Stephen's Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen's Family said...

Oh Danielle, I had no idea either, I hope everyone is feeling better this week. I love how you are giving God praise for all His goodness in the midst of much sickness and reminding us how blessed we are to be living in this country.

Denae said...

I couldn't imagine! You are 1 strong mama and we have the best parents in the world! let me know if they find anything w/ Benny. luv u

cb4swife said...

We have been praying for you! How is Benny doing? Ashlyn and Verity have been very concerned :) Love ya...Shannon

Audrey said...

So glad that you are all back home. Praise God that he healed your little ones=) Hoping to see you Sunday, Lord willing. =)