Sunday, May 2, 2010

Day of Rest

This Sunday:
6 am: up for the day, review Sunday School lesson
7 am: shower, oversee kids getting dressed
8-9 breakfast, discover milk is sour, thankfully we have a new gallon, brush and gel lots of hair.
10-11 am: worship God.
11-12 pm teach a fun group of four and five (and a few six year olds, including our favorite cowboy) about King Nebukanezzer, pride and humility.
1:30 pick my mom up for a Happy Mother's Day (a week early) lunch out. We had a wonderful time together.
3:00 Mom treats me to my first ever pedicure. Wasn't sure if I would like it, but I did. It was fun and relaxing and now my swollen feet at least look clean, callous free and have nice polish
5:00 pm: arrive home. Help Joel finish cutting his hair.
6:00 pm: fry up 18 scrambled eggs make toast for the hungry troops.
7:00 clean kitchen. Discover the fridge is not working. It is 62 degrees in there. (why the milk was sour, I am sure)
7-8:30 help Joel unload entire contents of fridge and freezer, clean all shelves (might as well since it is empty) watch Joel take freezer apart to try to find the problem
8:30 bath a very dirty baby in the kitchen sink, oversee showers of four other dirty boys, and one sweaty little girl. Jump in shower myself.
9:00 every one in bed.
9:30 clean up living room, dry and put away dishes. Look over schedule for the week (busy, again) Put receipts in the checkbook. Joel researches fridge problems on Internet, only to read "call an appliance repair man". Put that on list of things to do tomorrow.
Gather lots of laundry to have a head start for tomorrow's chores.
10:00 Joel heads to the store to buy ice for our coolers to keep our food cold, I turn the fan on high, aimed right at me and sit down to relax! Whew!!!

This evening, as a busy day turned even more hectic, I thought about how that is what being a mom is all about. To be able to go from lunch out with your mom, and relaxing while someone polishes your tootsies, to scrubbing gunk off refrigerator shelves, making dinner and managing a busy household and all the appointments, and upkeep that comes with it. I wish I could say that I did it all with joy and was eager to serve. It seemed the trials of the day, the thought in the back of my head of the cost that the repairs will cost, the horrible humidity were threatening to overrule the combating thought that this is God's plan for me today, and it was a very diverse one.
In the end, I think God enabled me to work diligently, and while not completely cheerful, at least content in the tasks that He had for our family this day. I smiled at my naked baby in the sink, enjoying the bubbles. I laughed at his excitement over "new" jammies (with lightening McQueen on them). I loved tucking a nice clean little girl in her butterfly sheets. I like how my fridge, although not working, is sparkling clean! God is good.

6 comments:

Audrey said...

Well said, my friend! God is good and each and every days events that he has planned for each day are good! Thanks for your post and thanks for your heart to glorify Him in it all!

Charlie and Lisa said...

I just alternated between laughing and groaning at your day yesterday, Dani!! What a crazy day - and 18 eggs for one meal - phew!! And what amazing grace that allows you to look back on the day with humor, lightheartedness, and gratefulness to God for His goodness. Thank you for your example! (and for making me laugh like crazy :)

Denae said...

you are an awesome mom dani no doubbt it stems from having a great mommy ourselves and a lot of God's grace onour lives. Your days exhaust me just reading it. Mom said she had fun getting the pedi with you and maybe we'll do it when i get up there, Iv never had 1 either.

Kelly said...

Love this post, Dani! You are such a joyful momma! Thank you for your example to me and the other ladies at church :) xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to figure out how you managed to bathe 6 children and yourself in 30 minutes...surely you missed an hour in there right?! Your post made me laugh and reminded me of a conversation at work the other day. My co-worker Patty, who kept interrupting my stack of work from other people to ask me to do things for her, commented that I'd be a good mother one day because I can multi-task. I laughed and told her that at the rate I was going that day my kids would never get fed or dressed! Looks like God has granted you the grace to accomplish those tasks and much more - I love hearing about your busy days and how God provides something to smile about in the midst of it all :)

Shannon said...

What a crazy day...how is the fridge? Thanks for your example of seeing God at work even in teh midst of unexpected events...love ya...Shannon