Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day


The first two are Nate and Jerem. Nate's didn't turn out so well, with the back light. Nate is in fourth grade and his little brother is in second this year.

Rachael and her baby head off to first grade. She is holding her present, a "First Grader's are #1" pencil. Nate has one that says 4th graders.... and Jeremiah has one that says the same about second graders. So they all can't be number one at the same time, but the kids liked getting a new special pencil.
Benny was pretty excited. He has a super fat smiley face pencil. You need a special sized sharpener for that, thankfully I have one. Isn't he cute in his baseball cap??

School started out pretty well this year. We got off to a later start due to some baths needing to be done first thing. But we ate our baked oatmeal, which is becoming a family favorite, cleaned the kitchen and began circle time by nine a.m. We had a nice time talking about the new school year, read Psalm 1 and prayed. I am hoping to get all thru the Psalms this year as well as learn a few new hymns together during this time. I am beginning slow, just doing math, phonics, handwriting and language arts for this week. Next week we will add spelling and history, Bible and Science. So today we finished by lunch and the kids all got to enjoy a very summery day outside.
Here is the baked oatmeal recipe, it makes a Maddie size pan, but is very good left-over also if your family isn't quite as large.
Yummy Baked Oatmeal.
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar (can use less)
1 cup brown sugar (less if desired)
3 large eggs
6 cups rolled oats
2 cups milk
1.5 tsp vanilla
good sprinkle of cinnamon (maybe 2 tsp?)
1.5 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix well so you don't have any egg clumps.
pour into a greased 13 x 9 pan.
Bake for 3o minutes at 350 degrees.
serve with cold milk, if desired.
(the original recipe does not have cinammon, vanilla and calls for four eggs. I like it better the way I recreated it, you can try it both ways if you wish.)

8 comments:

Denae said...

OH that sounds yummy I think we are gonna hafta (as you would say) try that one out. I was waiting for these pics sooo cute I esp like benny doing his school work. Kayiah is all into tracing her letters and numbers although Im trying not to be too schooley yet she just loves doing it so if she begs enough I usually give in, wonder if she'll be begging to do school work in a few years hahaha.

Denae said...

Oh yeah Kayiah was driving but we were in the wild life refuge which is a one way gravel road through the park and its pretty empty, but to her its awesome! When she's not driving she doesnt have to wear a seatbelt and gets to stick her head out the window like a dog would so it's always fun to ride thru :)

Bonnie said...

Benny looks like he is so eager to start school! I love his joyful spirit. Very cute pictures! God Bless your little scholars-and their teacher too!

Kelly said...

YAY! Happy first day of school! I'm gonna have to try that recipe--sounds great! I also love your circle time idea! Praying for your year! xoxo

Linda said...

I didn't have time to do much more than skim through the pictures, but that one of Asher (on the side of your blog)! I can't take it! He's too cute! I love Benny in the baseball hat too. Happy New School Year!

Linda said...

PS - great idea getting them those special pencils! That would motivate me for a couple of days :)

Audrey said...

Glad your first day went well...we are in the midst of homeschooling too and it is going well...Day 3 down...how many more to go? I won't even go there;) Faithy is enjoying joining in on some activities....I love the circle time thing too...fun stuff:)

cb4swife said...

I love the pictures...they all look so big...I cannot believe Nate is in 4th...We love that baked oatmeal too! Especially your brother...love ya