My parents decided to take the older boys for a day trip to Gettysburg last Friday. This is after they returned, so they are all tired out. The trip was partly to celebrate Jeremiah's birthday, so the boys were so blessed to get caps, swords and powder bags as a gift. They have been playing with them alot, since our backyard is now a Civil War battlefield.
Where Chamberlain stood on Little Round Top. Can you see how excited Jeremiah was?! We did a bit of studying of the Civil War, and they saw select scenes of the Gettysburg movie, so it was very interesting to them both.
Pennsylvania Monument. The boys climbed up inside. Mom-mom was nervous about letting them go alone up there, given their exuberance, but they loved it. Mom-mom doesn't do heights.
She does do Devil's Den. They spent at least an hour here, climbing all over the rocks. How much more patient my parents are for that sort of stuff than I typically am. They haven't stopped talking about all they had seen and experienced that day.
General Meade's Headquarters. The actress/historian gave them much information. Jeremiah decided to wear his socks like a soldier-all day long. Mom and Dad made him turn into a civilain when they went out for dinner though.Wow-what a day. I am so glad my kids have Grandparents who not only take them for fun trips, or just allow them to make a hobbit hole out of a bush in the yard, but pray for them daily. I am so blessed, and my children might not realize how good they have it, but one day they will be very aware of the abundant goodness of God in their lives by placing them in a family that cares so much about them.
I am so tempted to make a school project out of this, make Nate write a paper or something. But, I have been encouraged not to do this, schoolify every fun experience. Learning took place whether I have a paper to "prove it" or not. I got this tip from a weekly email I get called the Homeschool Minute. There is usually lots of neat things in it, if you want to check it out...
2 comments:
Wow looks like a fun day mom told me all about it and how excited the boys were!How lucky to have mommom and poppop right down the street.But even more so grandparents who pray for them
Looks like the boys had a wonderful time! I want to be like your Mom and Dad when I am a grandparent (Many, many years from now!) I certainly hope to emulate the way they love their grandchildren!
Thanks for sharing that bit of advice at the end; not to schoolify every fun thing. I don't even home school my kids but still I am tempted to want to do that!
It was fun to catch up with you a bit on Sunday. We'll have to start now, I suppose to try to find a date by June to get together! Or perhaps we'll just all play hooky one day so we can go play with the Mad's! (You don't have any educational enforcement types who read this blog do you?)
Post a Comment