I have been realizing lately just how terrible of a memory I have. Regularly one child or another comes to me and says something along the lines of, "Hey mom, remember when we went to IHOP and I had pancakes with blueberry sauce?" and they have some exciting story to go along with it, and I am trying and trying to remember when we went to IHOP. Was it last week? No? Oh, yes, two years ago. How do they remember this stuff, and yet, CANNOT remember what 7 times 8 is, or to rinse the sink after brushing....?
Nathanael was telling me about Toy Story 3. We saw this movie on DVD, probably in November (see the great memory I am talking about at work?) and I cannot remember much about it even though I kind of liked it. But my children can recite whole scenes, and remember the color of vehicles (yes, they can) and all kinds of strange details. And I cannot remember that the main character did not burn up and die.
Is it my age? Is 34 when it starts to go?? Or is my brain so filled up with things of some importance such as the proper dose of Albuterol for Jeremiah from the inhaler, which is quite different from the dose from the nebulizer, to remember that I need to send in this form to the insurance, call this person back, renew this library book, use that coupon before it expires, remember to add sugar to the grocery list (we are out! oh no!), remember that all the little boys need their nails clipped in the morning before they gauge out their eyes. What was the main point of that sermon?, what exactly is a predicate nominative and why do you only use them after a linking verb?, what are appositive phrases? (they rename the noun ie, Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love)-dont you love sixth grade grammar??? Oh yes, musn't forget to make Jeremiah's appointment for the asthma Dr, and that snacks and drinks are mine for caregroup, and that I owe the neighbor three dollars, which I will not remember until every time I see him and "remember" and then I don't have it on me... that I left the preschooler sitting on the potty waiting for help from me for about a half hour while I forgot about him and now he has a huge ring on his behind.
I do have a pretty detailed calendar and homemaker binder, but that doesn't seem to keep all the daily and weekly "to do's" out of my brain, taking up valuable space.
So I am not sure if I actually have a memory problem, or if I have so much going on in my memory that it pushes non essentials, such as the fate of Lotso Huggin' Bear, out my ears and onto the floor.
Maybe someday I will remember what I just read, remember names of songs, remember funny parts of movies, or that I actually saw that movie ( I cannot be the only one who borrows movies from the library that we had just watched??). But for now, I am remembering God, and His faithfulness to this mommy. I am remembering all the good things that are in my life, that make remembering the details so hard.
8 comments:
Danielle - I LOVE this post and how encouraging it is to me. :) Thanks for taking time to post these thoughts!
I can relate....that same thing is happening to me lately too...we just went out with friends from college and they were talking about these memories that I was included in and my brain cannot summon up the details of it....so encouraging to know I am not alone=) So worth it though, huh....at least we have our children to remind of us the memories we are making with them=)
I agree with both of these ladies...the lack of memory for things that I know 2 short years ago I might have remembered, but also the encouragement to think of how God has been so faithful to help us now, with the things that are important now, even though there can be a twing of sadness for what we don't remember. (Do you know, its been less than 2 years, and I don't even remember what it was like to be single??! crazy!)
You always encourage me through your honest assessment and humility in sharing it.It reminds me that I am not alone in this season, esp when I struggle; nothing I am experiencing is uncommon. Thank you Danielle!!
I forget what I was gonna say in my comment ; ) oh yeah I love ya and miss ya!!!
This might be my favorite post of yours yet! I totally understand.
Wow. It was like reading my train of thought! I feel like that without the kids thrown in the mix sometimes - can't imagine what it's like with them there, still sitting on the potty 30 minutes later! As for the 6th grade grammar that I didn't learn until 7th grade, I would have been able to tell you what an appositive is, but I'm coming up blank on the predicate nominative. Boy am I glad that Wikipedia is around so I can go look up the answer quickly after I send this :)
My brother Matt just asked my dad if he remembered the time he missed the bus in kindergarten. Matt remembered the details down to which tractor and corn planter Dad was using in the field, and Dad had no recollection whatsoever. I think, this memory problem may follow you for years to come!
I can so relate, Danielle...although I have many years on you ...Remembering God and His faithfulness is memory enough :)!!
Post a Comment