Friday, January 28, 2011

On Sickness and the Snow

Along with a wave of one snow storm after the other, has come one sickness after the other to our little home in the subdivision. Even as I write, more snow is falling on top of the approximate foot that is already blanketing the yard. It is amazing to me that Joel's school has not had one snow day yet. He works at an inner city school with the majority of students walking. He has had quite a few late openings, and one early dismissal. So Joel has been braving the icy roads to impart science knowledge to lots of high schoolers and I have been holding down the fort here at home.
Which hasn't been all that fun.

I came down witht the worst case of strep thoat I have ever had. I honestly was scared my throat was going to swell shut. So for the second time since we lived here, I made a Dr. appointment and got some good medicines to help with that.
Then Luke started with a fever, and has kept that up along with lots of fussing and wakeful nights, and then came Asher with explosive, terrible diapers. Then came Benny and now Nate, down with the stomach bug.
My washer machine is running constantly. I am never so thankful for a washer and dryer as when I am caring for puking children. Oh how wonderful to carry all that stuff to the basement and throw it in with an extra soak and rinse. Even at two a.m.
I am also thankful for hot, running water. You moms know the routine, strip the bed, strip the child, give the sick, shivering child a bath by nightlight, make up the bed and tuck a nice clean child back in. Can you imagine not having water? Having to break frozen water from the pail to warm up before you could even begin this process?

I always wanted to be Laura Ingalls as a child. I still very much enjoy reading about the early settlers and pioneers. But now that I would be Ma, I am not so sure I would be willing to exchange all the wonders of modern plumbing and heating for that rustic cabin. How hard those women (and men and children) worked just for the things we take for granted.

During the worst of my illness I spent quite a few nights on the couch watching PBS "Colonial House". It was aired probably about 8 years ago. My mom borrowed it from the library, and it is pretty enjoyable. There are a few characters on the show that make me want to throw my slipper at the TV, but then of course, I would have to go pick it up!

Some blessings this week besides my washer and dryer: big boys who are capable of shoveling for real, and have lots of energy to burn. A neighbor who is happy to share his gigantic John Deere snow blower. Gatorade. Parents who help any way they can. A husband who gets up at 2 am to help with the cleanup of sick children, or rocks a sick feverish baby. Thank you Joel. How we all love you.

4 comments:

Charlie and Lisa said...

Jeez oh man - what craziness! We'll be praying for a wave of healthiness to hit your family! I am always grateful for our washer/dryer during a stomach bug and was also very grateful (when the bug hit us a while back) that my two kiddos learned to puke in a bucket - very helpful! :)

Denae said...

oh yuck! hope you guys feel better soon, we've been praying for you! This Winter seems relentless with it's sickness

Audrey said...

Danielle,

Oh my....I am so sorry that you were so sick=( I love your heart of thankfulness in the midst of sickness...God has given you such a grateful heart, Dani. You also have a great sense of humor....you had me laughing when you said about throwing your slipper at the t.v., but then you would have to go pick it up...too funny=)
Praying for healthiness for you dear Maddies.

Amy and Brian said...

I did not realize how sick you all were!!!! Its too late to call you now, so I will tomorrow, but please call if you need anything!!! We will be praying for you all!