Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snowy Days

We have had a few snowy days to start this new year. Today I was up early with the baby, and since Joel had a two-hour delay for school I thought I would make some yummy "welcome snow" cinammon buns. I have done this every once in a while. Joel and Jeremiah were happy when they came in from shoveling to find a large plate of these. Having a husband who is a teacher makes snow days fun. We prefer 2 hour late openings since they don't have to be made up in June, to the whole day off. We will see how many we get this winter!

Quick as a Wink Cinnamon Buns
~~~~~~~~~~~
6 t yeast, 2.5 cups very warm water, 1 cup oil, 2/3 cup sugar
~mix all this well in a large bowl and let rest for 15 minutes.

Blend in 4 eggs, and then 10.5 cups flour, 3 tsp salt. Mix well and knead for 5 minutes until smooth.

melt one stick of butter. Roll out the dough in two batches into a long rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Spread with the melted butter.

Mix 1 cup brown sugar and 3 Tbsp cinammon. Sprinkle over butter, Sprinkle raisins and or nuts on top if desired.

Roll up into a roll from one of the LONG sides. Cut into one inch peices using dental floss. Place each peice on a buttered jelly-roll pan. Each pan fits about 15 rolls.

Bake at 425* for 12 minutes. Mix powdered sugar (about one cup), 1/4 tsp vanilla and some milk and 1 T melted butter unti thin and pourable. Pour over the rolls. Serve hot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This recipe makes about 30 large cinammon buns. I shared a bunch with two neighbors and still had plenty for our family this morning, and for snacks.


Last week we had some snow too. I took the kids sledding across the street for a while after lunch. Asher had a lot of fun this year. He cannot climb back up the hill and must rely on the kindness of Jeremiah or Nate to carry him up, but he sure enjoys sliding down! Luke braved the cold, rather bravely. I had him in a snow suit and with a thick blanket on top. He liked watching the kids sled.


Our children are happy to have new sleds this year. Last year they all had to share one sled. They had fun having races together down the slope. Jeremiah and Nate are big enough that they take over Joel's snow shoveling jobs on many days.

Cute little snow bunny. Are bunnies nocturnal?? This one is! He does take some nice naps for me after our cold weather excursions. I have been trying to get the kids outside to play, or sometimes we all go for a walk together since too much staying in, reading books and watching DVDs is VERY BAD for my active boys, and my furniture!



3 comments:

Denae said...

I'm very glad to see these pics b/c I had thought about leaving you a message to find out where your snow pics are. Kayiah is jealous of all your snow, I wouldn't mind having a snow day here as it's been cold anyway :( love the pic w/ all of them and the snow bunny, though not nocturnal cute as a 'possum just doesnt seem to fit. keep the pics coming, I know your not busy or anything.

Denae said...

oh I didnt even notice until I looked again I love lukes stroller w/ the elephants!!!

Julie said...

I love your snowbunny :)
I want to try that recipe too - I love that you could make these in time for breakfast!