Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Divine service

What a busy week we have been having. And this will continue until Christmas day, if not longer. I guess that is what life is like with five little ones. Most of my day is spent in the ordinary, like most mothers, I suppose. It is easy to lose sight of just why I am doing this and for whom I am doing this.

A few days ago I read this in Morning and Evening by Charles Spurgeon:
"Teach me, my God and King, in all things Thee to see;
And What I do in anything to do it as to Thee.
All may of thee partake, nothing can be so mean,
Which with this tincture, For Thy sake, will not grow bright and clean.
A servant with this clause makes drudgery divine;
Who sweeps a room, as for Thy laws, makes that and the action fine."

Whether sweeping the house (with my electric broom) wiping noses and bottoms, potty training, cooking three meals and the clean up involved after five little kids eat those meals, homeschooling and of course the laundry. I can count this as divine service to my saviour. Spurgeon goes on in this devotion to tell us that all of life becomes holiness when we do whatever it is we do each day wholeheartedly as unto the Lord. This can change my perspective of housework and childrearing so drastically. Now to keep this in mind each and every day. Help me to be more of a joyful servant Lord!

1 comment:

Tracy P. said...

What a great reminder! Thanks for sharing. In Romans, Paul talks about using every part of our bodies for works of righteousness as servants of the Lord, and not to use them for evil deeds. Raising children is the perfect opportunity to do the very thing.
Love, Tracy